Who is GrOW and what does GrOW do? We are a group of local volunteers united under the name: GrOW (GRow our Own on Waiheke). Some of our goals include:
· Establish community gardens to grow food
· Demonstrate how easy and rewarding it is to grow fruit and vegetables.
awareness of food miles and encourage people to buy locally-grown produce as a
more environmentally sound alternative to produce that is shipped in from
across NZ and the world.
· Bring the health benefits of organic growing to the community.
· Share knowledge and enthusiasm about food growing.
the fruits of the community gardens and the over-production of individual's
gardens with anyone, especially those in need, and on a koha basis.
Where are the community gardens? To date we have community gardens established or developing in the following locations:
Ostend (behind GSV, please do not park in the GSV lot) Group workdays:Tues 10 to 12 and Sundays
Food is shared among the growers and at the GrOW table at Ostend Market
Onetangi (399 Seaview Rd) Group work: Thurs 9-11 Contact: the Griffiths on 7662
Food is generally donated via Waiheke Budgeting Service
Blackpool (Old Blackpool school) Group Work: Sat 8.30 - 10 Graeme & Sally 6211
This is an educational garden with other produce being shared with community causes
NEW - Surfdale 7 Park Rd working day: Wednesday 9ish - 12 Contact Millicent 2401
Trig Hill watch for details or leave us your email and phone
What do volunteers do and how can I get involved? There are many ways to contribute to GrOW. These include:
· Donating time: Helping plant, weed or manage pests
· Digging, turning compost
· Sharing or teaching free workshops related to gardening
· Donating tools and material
· Helping build the new shed at Ostend's garden
· Helping with administrative or communication tasks among the group and wider community
· Manning the GrOW table at the Saturday market
· Offering your own garden produce/overproduction to the GrOW table
friends, neighbours to grow their own or donate space to those who want to grow
You might also be interested in collecting seeds for propagation through SeedSavers or supporting Transition Waiheke.
Want to know more or stay in touch with what's happening in GrOW?
Contact: Jennifer on 5805 or Robin on 7662