I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to harvest seeds from broccoli plants? Do they have pods like daikon radishes or do they have seeds in the flowers like lettuce? Assistance much appreciated!

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found this information on a website :
Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and kohlrabi heads grown for seed should not be trimmed for consumption.sprouts. If small amounts of seeds are wanted, allow individual pods to dry to a light brown color before picking and opening by hand. Lower pods dry first followed by those progressively higher on the plant. For larger amounts of seeds pull entire plant after a majority of pods have dried. Green pods rarely produce viable seeds even if allowed to dry after the plant is pulled.

PROCESS: Smash unopened pods in cloth bag with mallet or by walking on them. Chaff can be winnowed.
Thanks Hester. Sounds like I shouldn't bother trying to get seeds out of my ones as I have already trimmed and consumed heaps from them. I wonder why that is relevent? I will try and leave a complete plant next year to go to seed...
Maybe the best seed is in the main head?

Susan Kitson said:
Thanks Hester. Sounds like I shouldn't bother trying to get seeds out of my ones as I have already trimmed and consumed heaps from them. I wonder why that is relevent? I will try and leave a complete plant next year to go to seed...

RSS

What's Buzzing? 

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Pete Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service