Replies

• Good companion plants for tomatos Asparagus, Basil, Pole Beans, Borage, Broccoli, Brussle sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflouer , Celeriac, Celery, Chives, Dill, Foxglove, French Maragold, Goosberry, Grapevine, Hyssop, Lovage, Marojam, Nasturtums, Onion, Parsley, Parsnip, Stingingnettle, and of course Tomatos,
    • Interesting. I've been researching this and have come across a number of references that say NOT to plant tomatoes near brassicas, ruling out brussels, broccoli etc as companions (see for instance, http://www.gb0063551.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/seeog/companion/ ). Also not near potatoes, corn or beans. I'm interested in people's observed experiences in NZ gardens though, there may be significant differences between what works in North America and Europe and here.
  • Good companion plants for tomatos Asparagus, Basil, Pole Beans, Borage, Broccoli, Brussle sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflouer , Celeriac, Celery, Chives, Dill, Foxglove, French Maragold, Goosberry, Grapevine, Hyssop, Lovage, Marojam, Nasturtums, Onion, Parsley, Parsnip, Stingingnettle, and of course Tomatos,
  • I had basil and some tansy with the cherry tomatoes and they got the nasty bug. In the main garden I had basil again and marigolds around the hybrid tomatoes and they have been bug free.
  • I have had moderate success with my tomatoes this year. I think the long hot dry we are having in Northland has taken its toll. I still have a few plants with fruit on but have pulled out about half so far as they have died off. This is about a month or more earlier than usual. I planted basil and marigolds around all of my tomatoes. Have not had any pests or diseases at all. I also had one tomato growing beside a parsley plant. However very hard to tell if these companion plants do actually make a difference. I would love to see some research into this.
  • I had tansy by my garlic and I've had a good crop of garlic.
    My problem with tomatoes is the green beetle and apparently something called cleome [sp?] but I cann't find any. Can any help with this.
    • An American source I found says that geraniums and petunias will act as a trap crop, attracting the beetles away from the tomatoes. I gave up on a heritage tomato last summer that was covered in green shield bugs -- they weakened the plant and ruined the fruit. I figured out that the problem was the site -- right outside Mum's kitchen window, which was never curtained in summer. Those bugs were attracted by the light that streamed out of an evening. The flowers of carrots and parsnip are supposed to attract beneficial insects, which might include ones that prey on those bugs. Nasturtiums the same.

Tansy made into a liquid fertiliser/compost tea is supposed to be great for tomatoes. Same with stinging nettles (you can brew the two together).

• Apparently purple tansy is good to help keep the aphids away. I have just planted a couple to see what happens. Fingers crossed. I saw a few aphids on my tomatoes this morning, hence the tansy. Interesting about the Tomatoes providing shade for others I must remember that one.
  • Well, I've heard that it's not mutual... that the tomato plant benefits, but not the carrot. Haven't tried it yet! In the excellent book "Companion Planting in New Zealand" by Brenda Little nothing is mentioned about carrot-tomato relationships.

Sean Kemball said:
    Well, there's a book called Carrots love Tomatoes, by Louise Riotte... so I guess you could start there.

I find they don't grow well near onions (neither do peppers) but that may just be me, not sure if it's official companion planting lore.
This reply was deleted.