Im trying to track down some Maca and Passion Flower seeds. Not realising you can't import them I bought some on the US eBay, but YouShop/NZ Post would not deliver them. Any leads?
the Ministry for Primary Industries is bubbling a lot of bullshit on the internet instead of telling you just that:
- Google the botanical / latin name of the species you want import.
- Look up the status of it: https://www1.maf.govt.nz/cgi-bin/bioindex/bioindex.pl
It need to be the "Basic" status for "Import Specification Seed for Sowing".
Forget everything else. (Thanks to the lobbying of the NZ fruit industry)
- Ask your seed supplier for:
- Putting the seeds in a commercial (sealed) package OR in a zip lock bag sealed with a sella tape.
- You NEED a label like this:
Wing Stemed Passion Flower (Passiflora alata)
On the commercial package OR in (clear) the zip lock bag.
- The international letter/packaged declaration label must be:
"Living seeds for sowing"
Follow all this steps and you will get your seeds through NZ Biosecurity.
Thanks Andy I will follow your instructions and try again with a direct supplier.