zizyphus - jujuba tree

Does anyone on ooooby have one of these trees that they wouldn't mind sharing a cutting with me? Happy to trade for preserves and pay postage and packing.

I've emailed Nestlebrae who used to stock the trees but it no longer appears on their exotics list.

Thanks, Megan

You need to be a member of ooooby3 to add comments!

Join ooooby3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Donna. Many thanks. Andy has checked with Subtropica and they are offering seedlings as opposed to clones of named varieties. I'm wishing to grow one for the edible fruit and it will take more time and effort than I'm willing to invest to grow out a tree that may not produce worthwhile fruit. If I had the space and ideal conditions, it would be a different story:)
  • subtoprica.co.nz has the plants

• You never read the full threat before you write a redundant comment ?

• yup -answered the original question and read the thread... if that's what you meant...

• In case anyone's still looking: I see that Subtropica is selling Jujube trees www.subtropica.co.nz/index.php?page=5&PHPSESSID=517a9a5bc2dea22...

• Thanks Jacob,

I already asked for them.

I have search robots running 24/7 to search any public mention of 'Ziziphus jujuba' in .nz.

Subject: Re: Subtropica Newsletter 2013/2014Hello Andy,
      these are seedlings.

On 20/09/2013 1:29 p.m., Andy wrote:
      > Hello Pat & Claire,
      >
      > On 20/09/13 13:11, Pat & Claire wrote:> Ziziphus jujuba
      >
      >
      > I want buy/pay/reserve 2 x Ziziphus jujuba if there fruit clones.
      > 'Li', 'Lang', 'So', 'GA-866', etc.
      >
      > But I don't want seedlings. A seedling is pointless.
      > Jujube / Red date / Chinese date are cultivated since 4000 years.
      > It makes no sense to raise seedlings.
      > You will not get a fruit that can compete with a 'Li' or 'Lang'.
      > It's the same like Apple seedling, you unlikely get a apple you like
      > to eat.
      >
      >
      > cheers
      > Andy

• Thanks Andy for saving us from from a disappointment.
    • Thanks for pointing that out, Andy.  The thought had crossed my mind but I assumed that they would've thought of that.  Obviously not.  I was about to order some but won't now.

• Thanks Jacob, there are far too many temptations, fortunately our cold winters and lack of a glass house have stopped me spending to much money:)

• Thank you for your suggestions and replies. 

Appleton's had only a few trees and sold out and they don't know if they will be growing them again next year.  Have looked up the agroforestry website but am not sure if I could get these seeds into NZ.   Will investigate this and let you know.  Will also look around at some more NZ nurseries.  I did a search a couple of years ago for these trees and couldn't find any growers.

I use sassafras oil on my sheep for flystrike.  It kills maggots very quickly and deters the flies which you can see as you treat the sheep.  Apparently sassafras oil also helps heal the skin however I don't have a comparison to observe if this is so. 

Cheers.

This reply was deleted.