What's new - August 2011

So what have we been up to at PKT recently?

The photo to the left shows the team after a solid morning's work making a compost pile.

Michael said it was the tidiest compost pile we'd made so far, and I have to agree.

We applied what we learned from the recent Biodynamic workshop run by Peter Proctor and Rachel Pomeroy.

Nick supplied us with a few hay bales and a bucket of cow dung. Handy having a farm boy on the team. We loosened up an area of earth and put down a base of sticks. Then we made brown layer after green after brown...

Almost ran out of ingredients until just in the nick of time the lawnmowing man arrived with a couple of bags of fresh grass which we put to immediate use. Dosed the layers with hydrated lime, blood and bone and some seaweed concentrate.

We didn't have any biodynamic preparations but we did have some of Mr Proctor's own CPP (cow pat pit!) - specially composted dung - which we diluted and added. Pile finished about belly button height....that is, if you're tall like me.

We had to wrap chicken wire around it to keep the pukekos from picking out all the goodies.

As for what's growing at this time of year, there are broad beans coming up strong in the garden, and a range of brassicas. Garlic shoots are appearing everywhere and a few daffodils are in flower. Still plenty of oranges and lemons in the citrus grove.

This week, Rosemary hosted a group of older Sisters in the garden, and she says they had a great time. Good thing we had spruced the place up in advance of their outing.

Cheers,

Wayne

You need to be a member of ooooby3 to add comments!

Join ooooby3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looks great Wayne, well done.

Diane

This reply was deleted.