Kumara & Quinoa Salad

Kumara & Quinoa Salad - a salad I made up for a BBQ last night 1 & 1/2 large Kumara,s - peeled, cut into large chunks and roast with oil (a blend of Rice Bran and Sesame Oil is nice) 2 Onions, dice into chunks and add to roasting when kumara is about half cook 3 large cloves of Garlic, largely chopped & a handful of Sunflower Seeds - add to Kumara with onions 3/4 cups Quinoa - I use the red type - rinsed and cook with 1 & 1/2 cups of boiled water. Add 1/2 tsp salt if you want. Bring to the boil with a lid on and once boiling turn down to a simmer and leave for about 15 minutes. Turn off and leave to finish cooking. If there is still liquid not absorbed by when you are ready to add to the salad, drain through a sieve. Slice about 4-5 leaves of Sage & about 6 tips or large leaves of Basil or Basil mint add to the roast vege's, check if cooked, turning oven off if they are. When vege's are cooked, Mix in Quinoa Add the Juice & Zest one Lemon / Lemonade or half an Orange And a handful of chopped parsley. Season with cracked pepper. Mix and serve hot or cold.

You need to be a member of ooooby3 to add comments!

Join ooooby3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Kali, Thanks! The Sweet Potato was really good. We will adjust a few minor things next time but all in all its great!
    • That's great Jennifer, I know your post was a couple of years ago.  Did you remake this recipe?  What did you do different?

• A pic I took when I made it. Sorry my skills in food photography are limited.
  • This looks good- I was looking for a quinoa recipe that is a bit different- thanks
  • I grew some quinoa but have yet to cook it, this might be the recipe thanks.
  • sweet potato jennifer? maybe yam. , I saw Michelle Obama's harvest of sweet potato on Pete Russel's blog, (https://ooooby.ning.com/profiles/blogs/white-house-vegetable-garden) looked very much like kumara.
  • Is there something that we might have in the USA that would be a substitute for the Kamura? Or do we have it but with another name?
  • Soiunds yum. I often cook quinoa in a bit of stock and it gives it a really nice flavour. Haven't tried the red one though. Thanks.
  • Enjoy Theresa. It's really yummy and simple (I like my food simple and the fewer ingredients and additives the better).

Theresa Dewse said:
    Yummy can't wait to try it thank you!
  • Cool, enjoy Kate. Let me know what you think and if you have any improvements.
This reply was deleted.