WEEKEND WORKSHOP June 18 &19th Facilitated by: Robina McCurdy, Earthcare Education Aotearoa
Sat 18 & Sun 19 JUNE, 10am – 4:30pm
Venue: Charles Plimmer House, end of Lawson Lane, Mt Victoria, Wellington
In this workshop, Robina will use community facilitation methods to the goal of community scale food interdependence, based on successful models of localised food production in Aotearoa/NZ and in other parts of the world.
Participants attending the weekend will leave with an understanding of what happening globally with our food sources, what food networks New Zealand has and a strategies to enable greater access to local food in the Wellington region.
This will include:
* developing networks of resilient food growing communities which includes growers, food stores, distributors, markets and co ops.
* Creating a Permaculture zoning strategy encompassing backyards, neighbourhoods, local area, region, rural-urban links;
* Ways of mapping nad ensuring efficient wide ranging use of local resources, including utilizing and replenishing wild harvest areas;
* an interactive local seasonal calendar for land management, food
production, harvest and distribution, linked with social-cultural events;
* enriched regional food economies – increasing local and household wealth through growing surplus and value adding;
BACKGROUND: Robina McCurdy
Robina is co founder & resident of Tui Land Trust & Community in Aotearoa. She is the founder of the Institute for Earthcare Education Aotearoa, and pioneer of the SEED programme in South African and Brazilian schools.
Robina holds a Permaculture Diploma, and for the past 25 years has been engaged in community development, permaculture design & tutoring, organic growing & creating environmental education resources. She teaches these these community-building methods Aotearoa/NZ, Australia, Southern Africa, Britain, Canada, USA and Brazil.
Cost: $40-60 sliding scale
Food: Morning and Afternoon tea provided. Bring your lunch each day.
Deposit: $20 direct deposit to Innermost bank account
Innermost Gardens Incorporated
‘LOCAL FOOD’Film Evening June 16th 7-8:30
Facilitated by: Robina McCurdy, Earthcare Education Aotearoa
Want to break your dependence on the supermarket forever? It’s possible here and now to be 100% food self-reliant at a regional & local level and build a thriving community at the same time! Come and learn how…
‘ABUNDANT COMMUNITY FOOD: DYNAMIC SOCIAL CHANGE’
– a selection from Robina’s DVD’s on local food initiatives happening around the world, absolutely applicable to Wellington.
Thurs 16 JUNE, 7.00 – 8:30pm
Venue: Russian Frost Farmers 2 Eva St, just off Dixon St, CBD.
Entry: $5 – $10 (income related sliding scale). No pre-registration necessary.