Has anyone found a successful companion for tomatoes?

Views: 318

Replies to This Discussion

I have had moderate success with my tomatoes this year. I think the long hot dry we are having in Northland has taken its toll. I still have a few plants with fruit on but have pulled out about half so far as they have died off. This is about a month or more earlier than usual. I planted basil and marigolds around all of my tomatoes. Have not had any pests or diseases at all. I also had one tomato growing beside a parsley plant. However very hard to tell if these companion plants do actually make a difference. I would love to see some research into this.
I had basil and some tansy with the cherry tomatoes and they got the nasty bug. In the main garden I had basil again and marigolds around the hybrid tomatoes and they have been bug free.
Good companion plants for tomatos Asparagus, Basil, Pole Beans, Borage, Broccoli, Brussle sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflouer , Celeriac, Celery, Chives, Dill, Foxglove, French Maragold, Goosberry, Grapevine, Hyssop, Lovage, Marojam, Nasturtums, Onion, Parsley, Parsnip, Stingingnettle, and of course Tomatos,
Good companion plants for tomatos Asparagus, Basil, Pole Beans, Borage, Broccoli, Brussle sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflouer , Celeriac, Celery, Chives, Dill, Foxglove, French Maragold, Goosberry, Grapevine, Hyssop, Lovage, Marojam, Nasturtums, Onion, Parsley, Parsnip, Stingingnettle, and of course Tomatos,
Interesting. I've been researching this and have come across a number of references that say NOT to plant tomatoes near brassicas, ruling out brussels, broccoli etc as companions (see for instance, http://www.gb0063551.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/seeog/companion/ ). Also not near potatoes, corn or beans. I'm interested in people's observed experiences in NZ gardens though, there may be significant differences between what works in North America and Europe and here.

RSS

What's Buzzing? 

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2022   Created by Pete Russell.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service