Shall I do it? Best way to start?

"I am thinking now that some of my raised beds are empty taking them out and turning that area into a food forest. It's on a north facing slope with lots of sun with some tree and bush shelter and about 12 x 6 meters. any ideas anybody."

You need to be a member of ooooby3 to add comments!

Join ooooby3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The biggest thing you need to decide is what do I want from this space? What type of fruit you like? What types of fruit can I get easily from the local markets that I am prepared to buy. I would then look at the types of fruit that you can't get and would like. How much work you want and can put in. With trees it is a lot less than garden beds.

For me I just had to put in a Fig tree. You can't buy good figs!! The next thing on the list is a sour lemon and a Clementine mandarin  as again they are hard to find at the local fruit shops and markets.  Then I would just look at my land and decide how I am going to plant according to what the trees need. I also have a banana that I have had for over forty years. I like espaliered trees because I can put in more around them. But on my current property haven't planted much yet.(keep hoping that we will move to where i will have more space). Don't forget the use of heat sinks and shelter that might mean extending or speeding up you fruit harvest.

• Just read in Toby Hemenways 'Gaias Garden' that most fruit forest gardeners retain intensive veg beds to secure their veg supplies. Have you got another area for a fruit forest that wouldnt result in removing existing raised beds?

• Hi Shaun - How much ground have you got? Are you a straight row gardener wanting to try permaculture? If so have you read Mollisons books? My food forest project is 250m2 and is 6 months old. Ive made a few mistakes but nothings died yet. Youve got the fork up the right way so you should be OK. I read a lot and follow the suggestions of the pioneer permaculture teachers (Bill Mollison, Masanobu Fukuoka, Sepp Holzer). Im currently reading Gaias Garden by Toby Hemenway.

• do you have a photo of the area ? placement is important

• Sounds like a great idea.  In that space you can fit two semi dwarf apples 106 0r 793 rootstock)  or 4 dwarf fruit or nut trees.  Half a dozen berries, some other perennials like rhubarb.  Include a range of other plants to make it a stable system:

Nitrogen fixing, deep rooted to mine minerals, others to attract insects, a vine, some root crops, bulbs etc.

This reply was deleted.