Surplus beef or sheep?

Fifteen or so years ago I had ten acres just south of Auckland, and although the property was not certified, things were pretty much organic. I raised a few beefies (had two cows which provided milk for the house and then suckled calves) and sheep.

Rather than sending any surplus off to the works, I would advertise them in Trade & Exchange, and then the people would buy them live and arrange for them to go to the local home kill -  so no laws were broken and we all got what we wanted. For me, I didn't like selling at the stockyards or sending them off to the abbatoir. Much preferred to take them myself to the home kill butcher OR have them butchered on the property. I gave them the best of attention and every care and respect so that their lives were quality lives - I KNOW they enjoyed their lives, you could tell it from their demeanour. I have happy memories of such things as on haymaking days and how they'd watch what was going on and actually skip around the paddocks when haymaking was over, and then enjoy the long grass at the edges of the paddock... Wonderful memories.

Now that I'm living in the city (Auckland) I would love to meet up with someone who's interested in selling their surplus lambs, sheep or beef to me so I can benefit from the best of meat AND knowing that the animals were raised humanely.

You need to be a member of ooooby3 to add comments!

Join ooooby3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi

I want to use goat, sheeps and other animals in Auckland to do lawn mowing.

I could earn money by having urban cattle plus whatever donation from gardeners.

I asked an interview with Len Brown, but he is more than busy, so I will talk with another person at the Auckland City Council what is ok.

I am lonely in this idea that is becoming  a project, so, let me know if we have more people on board.

• Hi Jaqui,

I too would be very interested in doing the same thing.
    If anyone is selling surplus and happy to let us graze the animals for the 28 days (if necessary), I think this may suit those of us interested. I live in Massey, Auckland.

Donna
  • I like your thinking.  We are much further South and have looked into something like this (from the selling side).  I'm no expert but I understand that to legally use homekill you have to have owned and been "actively involved in the management of" your animal for 28 days before slaughter.  At least if you operate a homekill business you need to believe this to be the case before you can legally kill and process the animal.  I understand that people get around this by purchasing the animal >28 days before the intended slaughter and paying grazing (a nominal amount) to the farmer, or coming to put out hay or buy a drench or whatever.  That makes it completely legal.  Otherwise the farmer can have the animal sent to the works for you (at a greater cost than the homekill) though there are only a handful (at most) of small works who will do these sort of "individual" orders these days. Good luck in finding a supplier closer to home!
  • Hi Jacqui,

We are interesting in doing the same thing. We were the beneficiaries of such an arrangement last year and are now looking to get another side of beef, etc. If you find anything like this, please let me know. thanks!

deb

This reply was deleted.