Well, we finally harvested our sorghum, you are supposed to wait until the seed heads form but they started and stopped due to the cold weather , luckily we have only had one light frost so far this winter so we could leave it a little longer, we kept cutting little bits to see if it had developed sweetness and it finally did so the kids set to with the loppers. They were willing recruits for the long tedious task ahead because of the promise of a sweet reward. We cut each stalk into sections between each nodule and after leaving for a couple of days stripped the outer layer off each one, then I ran them through the juicer. It worked very well, but I could do only about 10 lengths of stem before it clogged up so had to repeatedly empty and rinse the juicer out. The pulp/fibre was beautiful and i had a brainwave and have saved it for making paper another day! I guess it will have to ferment first. ( I saw a news item about someone making bullshit paper (literally- lol) so this should work just as well.
Anyway the juice was lovely and green, and I slowly boiled it to evaporate, skimming off the vivid green foam that collected at the top. eventually it was much reduced and started to get viscous, so that was that and above is the sum total of our sorghum syrup harvest! about 250ml. A lot of work, but an adventure, our place is definately marginal for the growing of sorghum, the crop was spindly, but the result is a sweet grassy syrup that will go nicely on waffles!