Last year we tried our first Kumeras and had a pretty solid failure, reasonable tops but manky little tubers. We decided that we would shift to the other - sunnier - end of the section this year and, reading that they preferred heat we put them into a tyre to build up the temperature. By late December they looked like this.By this week they had practically taken over the space with luxuriant, leafy tops and strong leaders running everywhere. So today I cut back the foliage and, expecting nothing, lifted the tyre. Not bad eh?
That's 5.8 kilos of very attractive, dry, clean Kumera for practically no effort on our parts. Next year expect 3 or 4 tyres doing the same. BTW, we grew them on top of the wood mulch to try and simulate the pan that Kay Baxter said we needed. Looks like that worked.
They also grew from tupu that came from a tuber we put into sand in about August 2009, took the seedlings for the failed crop from that and then just left the tuber in the sand in the greenhouse till about September 2010.
Seeing they had not died I carefully took them off the parent and planted into the tyre, bingo.
I've taken half a dozen growing tips from this crop and put them into cutting sand to see if we can use them for next year's crop. Stay tuned.